Bangladesh, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya
Application closing date
Flexibele/ not applicable/ any time
6, 12 or 24 Months
As a VSO volunteer, you will immerse yourself in a new culture, face fresh challenges and develop your educational expertise while doing something truly fulfilling. The local partner’s need will decide your exact job description.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth of Small and Medium Enterprise (SMEs) in the countries that VSO is working in. The ideal person for this position will be working hand in hand with members of the Global Livelihoods team, located around the world, and Livelihoods teams in the country offices. Your input will ensure that VSO is delivering a relevant package of Business Development Services (BDS) to male and especially female entrepreneurs, operating SMEs in different sectors and geographical areas.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or Social Science, Entrepreneurship, Economics or related field.
- Experience in all aspects of Small Business Development (Marketing, Finance, Economy, Entrepreneurship, etc.)
- Background in training, education or facilitation skills will be an advantageous factor for this position.
- Communication – communicates at various levels depending on the audience and content of the message, communicates the right message, excellent in communication consistency between partners in the project.
- Analysis and creative problem-solving – proactive to deliver solutions to challenges. Ability to analyze and quickly grasp the fundamentals of a need. Able to find innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Flexibility – the ability to be proactive in a changing environment of working, business management, and entrepreneurship is desirable, experienced in people management and ability to work in a multinational with flexibilities of cultural differences.
- Good writing skills
Besides these skills, you need to be open-minded, respectful, resilient and adaptive to new situations. It is important that you can facilitate positive change, build sustainable working relationships and are willing to seek and share knowledge.
Terms & conditions
VSO will cover and support you in all preparations: training, visa, work permit, registration in-country, flights, vaccinations, anti-malarial treatment, PEP treatment, medical and security clearance. In-country VSO will provide induction and support in placement, arrange secure accommodation (often shared with another VSO professional), full medical insurance (including repatriation cover), medical indemnity insurance, work-related travel costs and a living allowance which will enable you to live a basic but healthy lifestyle, but which is not sufficient to cover ongoing commitments at home.
What we do at VSO
Our programs focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organizations, from local and national governments to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programs. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
The experience of a placement is a one-of-a-life-time experience and will benefit you in multiple ways. You will have the chance to learn to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. There is often the opportunity to develop your teamwork-, leadership- and management skills. This can be helpful for career opportunities after your placement.
The environment of development work is changing continuously. Our recruiter knows the actual vacancies abroad. If you have any questions about our current programs and where we currently operate, don’t hesitate to contact Heidi.
Sign up for the jobalert
You will receive all the new vacancies straight in your inbox!
Help make a change on a global scale
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organization that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Find out about the work we’re doing in the fight against poverty.
Our most common vacancies are summarized in our vacancy bank. You will find an overview at ‘Check out all vacancies’. Because we work in a very dynamic and fast-changing environment we advise you to go to our international website for an overview of our current demand in Africa and Asia.