Application closing time
30st June 2020
31 Augustus 2020
Thousands of teachers around the world do not get the necessary training and support, and as a consequence pupils do not reach their full potential. VSO is working to change this, and for this, we need Inclusive Education Specialists. This program is all about integrating and implementing inclusive education practices for people with disabilities and ensuring accessibility of quality education for all girls aged 15-19 years old, who have been excluded from the Education System in Mozambique.
As a VSO volunteer, you will immerse yourself in a new culture, face fresh challenges and develop your expertise, and often also management skills while doing something truly fulfilling. The local office or partner’s need will decide your exact job description.
This role is to support and advise target partners (local education providers and community leaders) in integrating and implementing inclusive education practices for people with disabilities and ensuring accessibility of quality education for all girls aged 15 – 19, who have been excluded from the Education System; with main focus on numeracy issues according to the needs of students.
Skills, qualifications, and experience
- A minimum of BA degree in inclusive education and related areas preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in in-service and/or pre-service teacher training at pre-primary and primary education level
- Experience of training teachers at pre-primary and primary level and/or secondary level and proven knowledge and skills in Active learning, child-centered and inclusive methodologies, and special needs education
- Proven experience and knowledge of developing, implementing and coordinating inclusive education projects/programs
- Advisory, communication and networking skills and experiences
- Experience in developing inclusive education/SNE training materials (including teaching aids) and deliver training
- Proven and practical knowledge of peer-to-peer support to share experience and learning
- Have adequate knowledge and experience as well as the enthusiasm to continuously monitor and evaluate project results and write up reports regular quarterly and annual reports
- Good interpersonal skills combined with a flexible and adaptable attitude
- Excellent communication skills with good command of both spoken and written English
- Fluent in Portugese/French/Spanish/ Italian
- Experience in using the technology to ensure effective management of information systems, planning, and decision making
Besides these skills, you need to be openminded, respectful, resilient and adaptive to new situations. It is important that you can facilitate positive change, build sustainable working relationships and are willing to seek and share knowledge.
- For further information about this job, download here the detailed job description.
Terms and Conditions
VSO will cover and support you in all preparations: training, visa, work permit, registration in-country, flights, vaccinations, anti-malarial treatment, PEP treatment, medical and security clearance. In-country VSO will provide induction and support in placement, arrange secure accommodation (often shared with another VSO professional), full medical insurance (including repatriation cover), medical indemnity insurance, work-related travel costs and a living allowance which will enable you to live a basic but healthy lifestyle, but which is not sufficient to cover ongoing commitments at home.
What we do at VSO
Our programs focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organizations, from local and national governments to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programs. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
The experience of a placement is a one-of-a-life-time experience and will benefit you in multiple ways. You will have the chance to learn to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. There is often the opportunity to develop your teamwork-, leadership- and management skills. This can be helpful for career opportunities after your placement.
The environment of development work is changing continuously. Our recruiter knows the actual vacancies abroad. If you have any questions about our current programs and where we currently operate, don’t hesitate to contact Kelly.
Sign up for the Monthly newsletter
Stay up to date with the latest news, volunteer opportunities and stories from our work across Africa and Asia, with our monthly email newsletter.
Help make change on a global scale
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organization that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Find out about the work we’re doing in the fight against poverty.
Our most common vacancies are summarized in our vacancy bank. You will find an overview at ‘Check out all vacancies’. Because we work in a very dynamic and fast-changing environment we advise you to go to our international website for an overview of our current demand in Africa and Asia.